Enterprises operating in the territory of the former USSR produce magnesium grades MG-90, MG-95, MG-98 in compliance with GOST 804-93 quality requirements as indicated in the table below.
Chemical composition of primary magnesium produced in CIS countries
Presently the enterprises of CIS countries make the following types of magnesium products:
- JSC “VSMPO-Avisma Corporation”: Mg-90 and Mg-95; magnesium alloys, magnesium protectors for protecting subsurface oil-and-gas pipelines against corrosion in natural environments;
- Solikamsk Magnesium Works: Mg-90 in pigs and T-shaped ingots and cylinders, Mg-90?, Mg-95 and Mg-95?; Mg-Zr master alloys; magnesium alloys MM2, ??2?, ???1?3 (Mg-Zr-Nd); magnesium alloys for high-pressure die casting, mold casting, casting and rolling;
- Solikamsk Pilot-production Metallurgical Plant: magnesium metal Mg80, Mg-90, Mg-95, Mg-96, Mg-98, and magnesium casting and wrought alloys;
- Solikamsk Desulphurizor Plant: granulated magnesium grades MGP-99, MGS-99 and granular magnesium alloys. Note: the raw material utilized by the plant is magnesium metal supplied by JSC “SMW” and JSC “VSMPO-Avisma Corporation”;
- [n]Zaporozhsky Titanium-Magnesium Industrial Complex: mainly Mg-90, used in its own titanium production;
- Ust-Kamenogorsky Titanium-Magnesium Industrial Complex: Mg-90. Note: in 1985-1987 the magnesium powder workshop was rebuilt, its design capacity made about 2,000 tons. The powder was manufactured by method of pipe blank combination milling (the obtained product grade--CNC-milled magnesium powder). Also, the enterprise mastered the technology for making magnesium powder by method of ring blank face crisscross ordered milling (product grade--compact magnesium powder).